Stay Informed
of New Reports
Report Waste, Fraud
Abuse, Or Retaliation
Report Waste Fraud, Abuse, Or Retaliation

Department of Housing and Urban Development OIG

HUD Office of Inspector General
Rae Oliver Davis, Inspector General
Main Phone Number 1-800-347-3735
Mailing Address 451 7th Street SW, Washington, DC 20410
Contact Hotline at

Agencies Overseen: 
What to Report to the OIG Hotline: 

• Violations of federal laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) programs and funding
• Substantial and specific danger to health or public safety at HUD Public and Multifamily Housing Developments
• Contract and procurement irregularities
• Theft and abuse of government property
• Employee misconduct
• Abuse of authority or conflict of interests
• Housing subsidy fraud
• Serious mismanagement
• Ethics violations by HUD officials
• Bribery

What Not to report to the OIG Hotline : 

OIG focuses on reports of fraud or serious mismanagement with high dollar losses or significant community impact. We try to identify and combine individual reports where possible. For the types of schemes we investigate, see Common Fraud Schemes.

OIG does not investigate routine or administrative complaints that should be reported to HUD program staff, local administrators or other agencies. We also do not provide program information or become involved in day to day program administration. If your complaint is related to one of the types of items listed below, please use the links or phone numbers to raise your concern with the appropriate party.
• Public Housing - Maintenance Issues, Housing Vouchers, Rent Calculations, Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Evictions, Troublesome Neighbors.
o Contact: Office of Public and Indian Housing Customer Service at 800-955-2232
• Multifamily Housing (HUD subsidized apartments) - Maintenance Issues, Rent Calculations, Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Evictions, Troublesome Neighbors.
o Contact: Office Multifamily Housing Complaint line at 800-685-8470
• Manufactured Housing (mobile homes) - Defects in the home or issues with the sale.
o Contact: Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs at 800-927-2891
• Community Planning and Development (grants) - Help with rental, homebuyer, and homeowner assistance, homelessness, and disaster assistance (unless the allegation involves theft of grant funds, or serious noncompliance with program requirements which should be reported to OIG).
o See: Office of Community Planning and Development
• Federal Housing Administration - Mortgage Originations/Applications unless the allegation involves falsifying documents.
o Contact: FHA Resource Center
o (800) CALL-FHA (225-5342)

• Foreclosures of FHA Mortgages or Short Sales of Properties with FHA Mortgages
o Contact: HUD National Servicing Center at 877-622-8525
• Ginnie Mae (Government National Mortgage Association - GNMA) - unless allegations involve misuse of funds, or serious noncompliance with program regulations/requirements.
o Contact: Ginnie Mae Communications
• Conventional Mortgages (Not FHA)
o Contact: Federal Trade Commission or 877-382-4357
o If the allegation involves fraud in conventional loans:
 Contact: Your local FBI Office or online via the FBI Tips and Public Leads form
• Housing Discrimination
o Contact: Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO) or 800-669-9777
• Interstate Land Sales - Misrepresentations in mailings or interstate commerce about lots for sale that need to be registered with HUD.
o Write Assistant Secretary for Housing-Federal Housing Commissioner, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, DC 20410-8000.
• FHA Mortgage Insurance Premium Refund Questions and Complaints
o Contact: HUD’s Support Service Center (800) CALL-FHA (225-5342)
• FHA Title 1 or 203k Programs - Shoddy repair work.
o Contact: HUD’s Support Service Center (800) CALL-FHA (225-5342)
• RESPA (Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act) - All RESPA complaints.
o Contact: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau